Sticking with BOLT basics we have another dessert staple here: Dulce de leche!
Dulce de leche is a delicious addition to any and all desserts. Use it in:
- Ice cream – A warm, caramel topping
- Brownies – Swirl into the batter or use frost a cooled brownie
- Cake – Use as a filling between layers, or drizzle for a decorative topping
- Cookies – Great for thumbprint cookies
- Coffee or Hot Cocoa – Stir it in
All you need is 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and a deep pot with a heavy bottom. Easy as pie!
Dulce de leche
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- Take the label off the can of sweetened condensed milk and place it in the pot
- Fill the heavy-bottomed pot with cold water until it covers the can (ok if it is on its side) by 2 inches
- Leaving the pot uncovered, bring the water to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 3 hours. Check on the water every 30 minutes or so, adding more water as needed to keep the water level 2 inches above the can
- After 3 hours remove the can from the pot using tongs and set it aside to cool completely before opening
- Once cooled, open the can and enjoy!
- Refrigerate any that is leftover. When kept refrigerated, Dulce de leche will keep for a couple of weeks. To reheat; place in a microwave-safe bowl and heat in 15-second increments, stirring in between, until warm
If you liked this recipe, we have more where that came from. Click here to see all of our BOLT recipes!