If you are looking for a job, you may have had someone recommend you work with a temp agency or staffing agency. If you’re unfamiliar with the staffing industry you might have questions like:
- What is a temp agency?
- What’s the difference between a temp agency and a staffing agency?
- What is staffing, anyways?
- Why would I work with a staffing agency?
As a temp and staffing agency ourselves, BOLT Staffing is here to break down some of the staffing industry basics. Keep reading to learn staffing industry basics that will help you get started on the right foot.
What is a temp agency?
Temp agencies, short for temporary agencies, are a type of staffing agency that provide companies with temporary staff. Employers use temp agencies to find them temporary, temp-to-hire, seasonal, and/or part-time employees.
What is a staffing agency?
A staffing agency is a company that provides staffing services. Staffing agencies include companies that specialize in temporary staffing and permanent staffing, with many agencies, like BOLT, doing both. Companies use staffing agencies for a variety of reasons including
- Recruiting, background checking, and/or drug screening new employees
- Paying their employees and administering benefits
- Finding short term employees to fill in during leaves of absence
What is staffing?
Staffing is a segment of the workforce solutions industry, that connects job seekers with companies looking to hire. Staffing agencies can specialize in a wide variety of industries, employment solutions, and geographic areas.
Benefits of working for a temp agency:
- Struggling to find work on your own? Temp agencies have dedicated recruiters who look for jobs for you on your behalf
- Don’t like commitment? With a temp agency, you can work multiple, different short-term roles, providing you with flexibility
- Looking to develop a career? Temp agencies allow you to try out different positions and industries before committing to one. If you really enjoy a specific role, your recruiter can help get hired permanently or find a similar, long-term position
- Work on your schedule: You get to choose which jobs you want to work, and which you don’t. Just make sure you are willing to complete an assignment before taking accepting a job!
Want to learn more? Check out our Staffing Glossary which explains terms you might hear when working with a staffing agency.
If you are looking for work right now, give BOLT a try! It is 100% free to apply with BOLT and our dedicated recruiters learn about your job search to help you find a great job. Complete our 1-minute application here, or give us a call at (707) 939-2800.