1 hour is not that much time. That is how long it takes to watch half of the Bachelor, a third of the Irishman and one eighth of Tiger King. And let’s be real… we’ve all done at least one of those. If we have time to watch 8 hours of Joseph Allen Maldonado-Passage, we have an hour to update our resume. You may be thinking “ugh… I’d rather have my arm bit off by a tiger than work on my resume”, but here are a few reasons it is your time:
- Should you need to look for a job, having an up to date resume means you can start your job hunt right away
- A good resume goes a long way with impressing prospective employers
- It doesn’t take long to give your resume a major upgrade
- It’s dark outside at 5pm anyways, what else is there to do
And here’s the greatest part! We’ve split the one hour upgrade up into 20 minute chunks to make this makeover manageable. Keep reading for our 3 easy steps to an upgraded resume!
- If you haven’t already, add your most recent job to your resume. Here is a great article on how to write job descriptions, which includes examples of well written descriptions for your reference.
- Make sure all of your contact information is up to date, including your email, phone number, address and LinkedIn (if you have one).
- Edit and refine your prior job descriptions to include action verbs, here is a list of examples. Action verbs are a great way to
- Capture the attention of prospective employers
- Highlight your skills and accomplishments
- Bring a confident tone to your resume
- If you have made it this far you are in the home stretch! The next and final step is to make sure your resume looks good. By now you have cleaned up the content, but to really stand out to hiring managers you want to have an appropriate, easy to read and inviting format. Here is a great resource from Indeed, which gives an overview of resume formats, what they are used for and tips for a standout resume.
And in just 60 minutes you have a beautiful, upgraded resume, congratulations! If you are looking for work, we at BOLT Staffing would love to help you (and your shiny new resume) find a great job. Feel free to call or text us at (707) 939-2800, we are always happy to chat about your job search.