If you like citrus and cake, this recipe is for you! This lemon cake is a quick and easy way to impress your friends with your baking skills. As long as you have a few pantry staples you will be able to make this beautiful cake! A couple specific kitchen utensils you will need for this recipe are a loaf pan, a microplane (to zest your lemon) and a vegetable peeler (a Y shaped one works best).
- 2 sticks (1 cup) of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 lemons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp milk
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Butter your loaf pan (with softened butter) and line the pan lengthwise with parchment paper
- Using your microplane zest 2 of your 3 lemons into a large bowl
- Add your 2 sticks of butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar to the lemon zest
- Using an electric mixer or stand mixer beat the zest, butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy. This will take about 5 minutes
- Beat in your 3 eggs, one at a time. Wait until each is incorporated before adding the next
- Whisk your flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl
- Add half of the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until combined
- Beat in the 6 tbsps. of milk on low, then when incorporated add the rest of the dry mixture and mix until just combined. You don’t want to overmix the batter because it will begin to form gluten and make your cake tough.
- Add your batter to your loaf pan that you prepared in step 2 and bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. This will take about 45-55 minutes.
- While the cake is baking prepare your glaze. Peel the lemon with your vegetable peeler into strips. Once you have strips of lemon peel, slice them into very thin strips (as thin as possible).
- Cut the 2 lemons you zested in half and squeeze the juice into a bowl (should be about ½ cup of lemon juice)
- Put your 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar into a bowl and slowly pour in half of the lemon juice (¼ cup) while whisking. Once you have a smooth, opaque paste add your strips of lemon peel and combine
- When the cake is finished take it out and let it cool for 10-15 minutes, then poke around a dozen holes in the top with a toothpick
- Pour the remaining ¼ cup of lemon juice over the top of the cake and let it seep in (you can do less or omit this step if you want a less lemony cake)
- Pour your icing with lemon strips over the top of the cake and voila! A beautiful lemon pound cake! Enjoy it 😊