A perfect summertime cupcake! They are light, fluffy and just in time for the Fourth of July. This recipe requires a few special ingredients and extra steps to make them perfectly fluffy, but I promise it is worth it in the end. The make sure you have all your ingredients before you get started so you aren’t scrambling in the middle of baking.
Makes 14-16 cupcakes
For the cake:
- ¾ cup of granulated sugar
- ½ cup of cake flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites at room temperature (can also buy a carton of egg whites!)
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- ¾ teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar (granulated or confectioners)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the topping:
- Any red (strawberries, raspberries) and blue (blueberries, blackberries) berries you like!
- Preheat your oven to 325°F
- In a food processer or blender pulse your granulated sugar until fine and powdery
- Remove ½ cup of the sugar from the blender and place in a separate bowl, keep the rest in the blender
- Add the cake flour and salt to the blender (with the remaining sugar) and pulse 10-15 times until mixed and light
- Using a hand or stand mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the egg whites, water, cream of tartar together on medium until foamy (about 1 minute)
- Switch to medium-high and slowly pour in the half cup of sugar you set aside in step 3. Whip until soft peaks form (about 6 minutes)
- Add the vanilla extract and beat until just incorporated
- Sift the flour/salt/sugar mixture to the egg white mixture, using a fine mesh strainer. This will help preserve the fluffiness! Don’t add it all in at once, fold in the flour with a spoon in multiple additions.
- Spoon your batter into cupcake liners, only filling about 2/3rds of the way (they will rise!)
- Bake until light brown and a toothpick in the center comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes
- Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting
- Using a hand or stand mixer with a whisk attachment whip the heavy cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form (about 4 minutes)
- Frost onto your cupcakes using a knife or piping bag
- Decorate with your berries and enjoy!!